Purchasing glasses for yourself, as an adult, is a confusing and overwhelming process. When you’re a parent and need to choose eyewear for your child, it’s even more so, and most optical stores aren’t sufficiently trained to fit the frames to the child’s smaller face. You need to find an optical store that carries specialty children’s eyewear.
What to look for:
- Lens thickness—Stronger lenses will be thicker, so with stronger prescriptions, you should choose smaller frames for less distortion around the Stronger lenses will be thicker, so with stronger prescriptions, you should choose smaller frames for less distortion around the edges. edges.
- Fashion—Your child doesn’t want to made fun of, so find a pair of frames in which they’ll be comfortable. You want your child to wear the glasses, not keep them in their backpack.
- Bridges and Proper Fit—The bridge is the part of the frame that extends across the nose. As children’s noses are not fully developed, the bridge on plastic frames might slide down. Metal frames, with adjustable nose pads, may fit better on smaller faces. A specialty children’s eyewear store will have many different options.
- Temples—This is the part of the glasses that sit on the ears. For children who must wear their glasses all the time, cable temples, which wrap farther around the back of the ear, or wraparound glasses, which wrap around the head, could be a better choice than regular, or “skull” temples, which would be more appropriate for children who can take their glasses off and on.
- Lens Material—Children’s lenses will likely be made of polycarbonate or Trivex, both lightweight and resistant to impact.
Dallas Youth Optical with locations in Dallas and Plano, Texas has the experience and professional expertise to perfectly fit glasses to your child’s face and personality. For specialty children’s eyewear, come to us. Bring your child’s prescription to our store and let us help you make your child look great in their new eyewear.
Did you know?
We are the only store in the Dallas area that exclusively handles glasses for children! Whether your child needs eyewear for full time use or just part-time, we can find a pair that will fit their needs and make them look chic so that they’ll want to wear their glasses.